Episode 66: Parent Journey: Prince & Heidi Sabena (Part 1)
May 18, 2022
In today’s episode, we talk about Prince and Heidi’s parent journey with their daughter, Ruby while living in Africa. Prince and Heidi share their adventures of breastfeeding and what it’s like to deliver a baby in a third-world country during a pandemic.
This is a story of tongue and lip ties, an incredible marriage, and perseverance. Stay tuned for part two to finish out their story, see what ended up happening to Ruby, and how things are today.
In today's show we discuss:
- A c-section and a NICU stay during a pandemic in a developing country
- Overcoming exhaustion with a colicky baby
- Pumping and breastfeeding with limited access to supplies
- A father’s role and sacrifice for his baby
A Glance at This Episode:
- [2:34] Prince & Heidi’s introduction
- [7:46] Ruby’s c-section at 35 weeks gestation
- [10:50] How they got a pump and what was available to them
- [13:17] Bringing Ruby home and beginning their breastfeeding journey
- [17:15] Working with Jacqueline and how they virtually diagnosed Ruby’s ties
- [21:44] Heidi and Prince take Ruby to see a pediatrician for her ties but get passed around to various surgeons and doctors with crazy diagnosis
- [27:01] How Heidi is pumping and breastfeeding in the midst of their pediatric runaround
- [33:51] They used an acid reflux medication and how that helped Ruby
- [35:18] Prince’s bond as a father with his daughters and how important that fraternal, masculine energy is.
- [39:46] Ruby’s symptoms and their transition to drying up breast milk and switching to formula
- [43:30] Heidi and Prince realize they need to start researching other options
Other ways to enjoy this episode:
Download a transcript | Subscribe on Apple Podcasts | Join The Nurture Collective®: A Supportive Community for Breastfeeding Moms