Episode 68: Biggest Mistakes I Made While Breastfeeding
Jun 01, 2022
In today’s episode, Jacqueline reveals some of the biggest mistakes she made while breastfeeding and how she overcame them.
From not recognizing signs of ties to being influenced by the internet, Jacqueline pushed through multiple obstacles that make up her breastfeeding journey. She didn’t wean her son during pregnancy but felt guilty for weaning her daughter too soon, Jacqueline realized that every baby is different and every nursing journey doesn’t have to be identical.
In the end, are these really ‘mistakes’ or are these just ‘lessons’ that every mom goes through?
In today's show we discuss:
- How a lack of knowledge and incorrect information can alter your breastfeeding journey, and where to seek proper support
- Mom brain and denial are a real thing and should not be ignored
- The importance of setting boundaries in your nursing journey and self-care
- Knowing when to wean and when to pump and how to go about it
A Glance at This Episode:
- [1:11] Jacqueline recaps the previous two episodes and shares about The Nurture Collective
- [4:59] She finds herself in immense nipple pain at the beginning of her journey
- [5:54] Her midwife puts her in touch with a lactation consultant, but she’s not very responsive or supportive
- [7:18] Jacqueline’s first biggest mistake was not reaching out for more support
- [8:20] Another mistake she made was thinking that she was the problem when her son wasn’t a good sleeper
- [9:02] After being influenced by an article on the internet, Jacqueline thinks she has an oversupply when really her son had a tongue tie
- [12:08] The next biggest mistake for Jacqueline was not weaning her son when she should have and experiencing nursing aversion
- [15:48] Getting into her daughter’s story and some mistakes she made, starting with wanting to accept that her daughter had multiple ties
- [20:20] A major mistake that Jacqueline had to face was not pumping when she knew her daughter wasn’t getting enough because she was in denial
- [24:49] When he daughter can’t sleep without nursing, Jacqueline decides to wean her instead of setting boundaries in place
Other ways to enjoy this episode:
Download a transcript | Subscribe on Apple Podcasts | Join The Nurture Collective®: A Supportive Community for Breastfeeding Moms